Monday, October 27, 2008

With a little help from my friends...

Hrmmm...Well, after Girl's Night, it turns out my best-kept secret is going to have to be demoted to "Best formerly kept secret." Evidently the proverbial cat's been out of the proverbial bag at work for a couple of weeks now but no one thought to mention it to me until tonight. Which I hope hope hope means no one mentioned it to him. Yikes. Ah well.

Speaking of Girl's Night, they are the best. Tonight Romy had us over, and her house reminded me of somewhere I've been before, and I can't quite put my finger on where it was, but I swear it just felt like home. I've always been a big believer that smell is one of the best memory triggers. You know how when you spend some time in certain places, even your clothes carry the scent with you? The whole way home I kept smelling my sweatshirt and it just smelled so familiar, like somewhere I used to love. Well, the right side of my sweatshirt. The left smelled faintly of formula, courtesy of Baby Wyatt. That child, btw, is such a doll. And such a big boy at 4 months old!

And I have been realizing over the course of this week, seeing friends from high school, figuring out the webcam and finally getting to talk to and SEE Jaimee, and laughing incessantly with relatively new friends tonight, I am a lucky lucky girl. I have old friends that know me inside out, that have witnessed my continuous screw-ups, even when they warned me otherwise. They can predict my next (often stupid) move, and even after I make said move, they are always there with a shoulder to cry on or a brilliant plot for revenge. Never an "I told you so" or even a disappointed glance. There's a song lyric, "When somebody knows you well, well there's no comfort like that" So, so true. I love my friends.

I will love myself a little less when I have to wake up in six hours, slightly hungover and likely still carrying tonight's food baby. Ah well. Life's too short for a sober girl's night, yes?

No comments: