Thursday, November 27, 2008

For comparison's sake...Heaven.

My mother made my stepdad and I watch "The Five People You Meet in Heaven" earlier tonight. As predicted, it was the caliber of most made-for-TV movies, but it got me thinking. In the movie, each of the five people the main character encounters is in his/her own version of Heaven, waiting for him.

I have no claims to make here about what Heaven might truly be like. I haven't a clue, at all. Nevertheless, I started thinking about my own Heaven. If I were allowed to create it, what would it be like?

I first thought about what I have yet to experience--true (romantic) love. Wouldn't I want my beloved, whomever and, ahem, wherever he may be, to be there? Of course. And motherhood...I'd want my children there too, naturally.

Then, finally, I started to consider what I already have. I looked to my left at my mom and stepdad. Check. I thought about the conversation I had with Jaimee the other night, and how in Heaven, I would want the people who know me best, and love me in spite of it. I thought about my extended family, my aunt and uncle, and the countless meandering conversations, laced with bouts of uncontrollable laughter. Check. I thought about the kids I work with, to whom the world is brand new and fascinating, and happiness lies in play-dough and Goldfish crackers, and how in Heaven I would want to be near that feeling all the time. I thought about the sheer, ridiculous joy I get from being around it now, and realized eternity wouldn't be complete without it. Double check.

It finally dawned on me that the vast majority of the things that would constitute my "Heaven", I ALREADY HAVE. How completely amazing is it that I'm surrounded on a daily basis by the things that make me the happiest in the world? Despite my constant whining and bitching about what I don't have, I am so incredibly blessed with what I do have. I'll be honest, It kind of blows my mind.

On that note....Happy Thanksgiving, everyone. Hope you all have a safe and happy holiday. I'm sure to post pictures of the family food, drink, and dance-a-thon in the next few days!

No comments: