Friday, January 2, 2009

1 day in.

2009 so far has been....fattening.

I got out of work at 11:42pm on Wednesday night. Reason number 5 million to quit the restaurant. My phone had several messages, all along the lines of "Where are you?" all from people who knew I was at work. Regardless, I drove the 2 blocks to the bar and was struck by a thought: Even with my entire family out of town, many friends all occupied or out of the country, I STILL had friends, only 2 blocks away that I wanted to be with. That wanted to be with me. It was a surprisingly comforting thought. Of course, said friends had two tequila shots lined up for me when I walked in, so I could "catch up" and catch up I did. By midnight, I was a happy girl.

Side Note: I haven't had a New Year's kiss since the first moment of 2005, with the boy I'd fallen head over heels for the previous summer.

Anyway, the shitshow continued, and my friend Jeff, who might be a saint, drove me home AND gave me cab fare to retrieve my car the next day. Being slightly tipsy, and hungry (no time to eat at work) I consumed my first meal of 2008: Nachos, cake, the chocolate Santa that was in my stocking, all accompanied by a delicious, full-sugar pepsi.

Other than the overeating, which did continue through yesterday, things are alright. I have resisted the urge to text all inappropriate men. I worked out, both days. I didn't blow a bunch of money unnecessarily at the mall today. Speaking of inappropriate men and my constant urge to surround myself with them, I should note that I'm re-reading Elizabeth Gilbert's Eat Pray Love and finding that it speaks volumes more to me now than it did the first time I read it, almost a year ago. Last year, not a month went by that I didn't seek (and find) male attention. With that in mind, this particular passage spoke to me:

"So BE lonely...Learn your way around loneliness. Make a map of it. Sit with it, for once in your life....But never again use another person's body or emotions as a scratching post for your own unfulfilled yearnings"

Noted. And being put into practice (successfully, I pray) immediately.

How is everyone else enjoying our new year?

No comments: