Friday, November 6, 2009

On Forgiveness.

They say love makes the world go 'round...fair enough. Perhaps to love is to forgive, then, because I think the world may get stuck without forgiveness. Truly, how could we get through the day?

I've been struggling with forgiveness lately. I am relieved to be out of my last relationship. I am so looking forward to what is in store for me--WHO is in store for me. I am healing, and it is a beautiful experience. It's like the last painful tug when the stitches are taken out. It hurts when it heals, too. The last step in that is always to forgive. It's not just him that needs it from me, not even close. I have held on to many hurts and kept a mental list of those who have trespassed against me.

It's time to let it go.

Anger is okay, yes, but only for a time. But without forgiveness, your righteous anger is nothing but poison. I should also mention that in many (not all) circumstances, the person you can't forgive loses no sleep over the pain they inflicted. The only one still hurting, as long as you hold onto it, is you.

It's time to let it go.

As if the pain of holding on to anger and hurt feelings isn't enough to drop it like it's hot, I think of all of those who have forgiven me. I have hurt people I love, for no good reason. I have made choices that, one way or another, caused another person pain. Some didn't forgive me. Some did. To those that didn't, I will always be sorry. To those that did...thank you. I don't know what else to say. Laughing with one of the best friends I've ever had tonight, I thought about where I would be without that forgiveness. Where would any of us be without the forgiveness of our families, of our friends? And if you believe in Him, and I do, of God? Knowing that, who am I to deny forgiveness to another person? Especially when at the very least, it will set ME free?

And there it goes--the final stitch. And the world keeps turning...

No comments: