Tuesday, July 24, 2012

New, cont'd.

So, as you may have gathered from my previous post, I quit my job. I'm not sure what I expected when I walked into my boss's office, resignation letter in hand, shaking with fear. I guess the ideal response from her would have been immediate outrage ("WHAT? You CAN'T go, the company simply will not survive without YOU!) followed by a heart-to-heart over what could have been done differently to keep me as an employee.


That, let the record show, is not how it went down. My manager was polite and professional, calm and collected. Almost too collected, it felt. She simply said, "Oh no! Well I'm bummed to hear that, you'll be missed."

As I walked out of the office and to my car, aware that I had set the wheels in motion for a big-time life change, I started to cry. Because despite all the flaws that company/position revealed over my two-year tenure, there were some really awesome times as well. And because, to put it in the most basic of terms, change is hard.


But now, weeks after my last day of work there, I've recognized that I don't want to work in a place where my departure is a "bummer." I want to do something that matters, do something that LASTS.

For the moment, that something is playing nanny to two of the sweetest, most beautiful little girls. Three days a week, leaving time to love on them, and gratefully, love on my friends. The people in my life all-too-neglected while I was working early to late, coming home exhausted and uninspired. Now, when I leave work for the day, there is relief (a 3-year-old and ten-month-old are no joke, friends. My admiration for all you mamas out there), but there is also peace. There is no stress, no worry. No need to come in half an hour early to finish yesterday's unfinished work.

So I'm liking it, but it won't be permanent. But it is a huge blessing in that it's going to allow me to accomplish some of the following:

1. See Friends
2. Get some exercise
3. Blog (?!)
4. And, drumroll...go back to SCHOOL. More on this later.

So, all in all, I think I'm liking all the New.

No comments: